Thursday, 8 November 2012

First touch of a Panda and returning to Xian

Up as usual at 6.30, only two of us normally up at this time having coffee and breakfast.  As the bread is so thin I opted for 3 slices of bread and jam to see if I could last longer before snacking on biscuits.
The routine with the pandas is getting easier and I can now get on with some things by myself, unlocking the cage and getting Xing Xing to the right side for cleaning, and then I get on with the shoveling of poo into the basket and mopping down.
When feeding Xing Xing her milk I had a sneaky stroke of her ear, a very quick one as after Lyndall lost her welly to her panda yesterday we have to be careful.  The fur is not soft as it looks but quite coarse.  I gave her one apple on a stick making her do her exercises and then hand fed her a carrot.
Eating her apple


For lunch I tried some of the sugared tomatoes  , not great but nice to eat some big slices of tomato.

I was packed and ready for our taxi at 5pm and headed back to the apartment in Xian.  In the evening I went to the supermarket to stock up on things to take back to LouGuan Tai..  Coffee, sweets and pringles.  I managed to get some cheese ones, I really miss cheese.

Next morning with my travelling companions, Kate and Adele we headed through the back streets to get a bus.  The bus took us to Xian railway station where we were to get the 306 to take us to the Terracotta Army.  We found the right queue easily it was the one that went on and on around the corner and took half hour for us to get on the bus.
We had a good view of the City wall while we waited and we were amused by a truck playing jingle bells as a warning that he was about to shoot water out everywhere to wash the pavements.
The City Wall North
The trip to the warriors on the bus cost just 70p each way and it was over an hours journey.
My first glimpse as I walked in.
The first glimpse of the warriors was amazing, nothing prepares you for the size as you walk through the door and see them all standing in rows before you.

As we were leaving the site there was a Subway, I have never been in a Subway before in my life but the thought of some proper bread and salad was pulling me inside.  After satisfying myself that the place looked hygienic I ordered a Tuna sub with salad and cheese .  We sat in silence eating as it was wonderful .
Back in Xian we walked what seemed liked miles up and down the subway and along busy roads trying to find a cash point that would work or had money left in  it.  We had arranged to meet one of the volunteers who had been staying in a hotel before flying home.  It was very exciting as we were going to Pizza hut, more cheese, I couldn't wait . But wait I did as the service is very slow, food came eventually before drinks had arrived and we requested our drinks again, we got lots of smiles which was lovely as I don't think our waitress knew any English.  Also very good was to find a western toilet in Pizza hut, very hard to come by in Xian.  So a lovely day of sightseeing and filling my stomach with normal food at last.

Getting a taxi out of the city was always a challenge and it must of taken half hour to flag one down and not get beaten by the chinese who don't queue but just push and grab the door , we had to toughen up! I used the time to take some photos of Xian at night.


I was ready now to return to LouGuan Tai armed with my supplies I felt ready for the next two weeks.


Tiger our co-ordinator at the panda center had suggested we get the bus back with him as it would be quiet on a Sunday.  If that was quiet I would not like to go on a busy day.  We could barely get on the bus and had to squeeze in and stand surrounded by Chinese voices for one hour before finally getting a seat for the last half hour.  It was an experience and one I am glad to have done . Arrived back just in time for lunch, chinese, I had some flat bread and garlic in cucumber with just happy memories of Subway.
Xing Xing sitting outside with her bamboo pile






No comments:

Post a Comment